Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chair 2: 3 Poplars panel

As I've mentioned before, painting chairs constantly presents me with "shape challenges". How do I configure the side panel paintings' compositions when I am not working with the typically shaped canvas. In other words, they are just odd shapes.

Because I was painting this chair as a Faux Gogh, I had to scrounge the pages of my trusty reference book, Van Gogh: The Complete Paintings. There I found Two Poplars on a Road through the Hills (1889) which became the inspiration for my 3 Poplars panel.


Truthfully, I must admit that I don't feel that I ever completed this panel. I could go back and add more layers. Maybe I will someday; or not. But since is the chair that I've kept for myself, I have the luxury of leaving it as is, or working on it again ... someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment